When the plummeting winter temperatures hit, pet parents know it’s time to pull out the winter dog coats and dog snowsuits. These cute and cozy jackets for dogs are a great way to make walks, bathroom breaks, and outdoor playtime fun when it’s cold outside.
If you’re trying to find the best dog coats and snowsuits for your wheelchair dog, I’ve got 6 top-rated products to share.
Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Cold weather health risks
- Choose a dog coat based on your pet’s lifestyle
- Features to look for in a dog coat
- How to ensure the proper fit
- Read more about handling winter weather and paralyzed dogs.
Note: As an Amazon Associate some of the links in this article are affiliate links.
Finding the right outerwear for a dog who walks with wheels is a bit trickier than an able-bodied pooch, but very doable. The most important thing to look for is: the right size and style of the snowsuit so your dog can walk comfortably in their wheelchair.
Another important concern for paraplegic pets is to make sure their paws are covered while they’re outdoors. Paralyzed dogs don’t have feelings in their limbs. They won’t realize when their extremities get dangerously cold. Their paralysis makes it easy to develop frostbite.
Cold weather health risks
The ASPCA says that cold winter weather can be as hard on our dogs as it is on us. Even dogs with thick fur or an undercoat are susceptible to developing hypothermia and frostbite if they aren’t protected.
The ASPCA recommends that pet owners’ towel-dry their dog’s body, legs and paws after coming in from outside and that paw balm be applied to the pads for added protection.
Choose a dog coat based on your pet’s lifestyle
Before you buy a jacket for your dog, it’s a good idea to consider these 3 questions:
Features to look for in a dog coat
Just like winter coats for humans, jackets for dogs have lots of features to choose from. Here’s a list for you to review:
How to ensure the proper fit
It’s important that your dog’s outerwear fits well and is comfortable. That means it doesn’t restrict their movement or vision, in any way. You’ll also want to be sure your pup is able to walk in their wheelchair while wearing their new jacket and that you’ve added warm dog boots for protection.
Most coat manufacturers will ask you to measure your dog to ensure a proper fit. That entails using a tape measure to size your dog from the neck to the tail and a taking second measurement around the thickest part of their torso.
My picks for the best winter dog coats and dog snowsuits
Waterproof & Windproof Coat
Kuoser Dog Jacket
- Dual purpose – Waterproof on the plain side of the coat, cozy windproof snow jacket on the plaid side
- Comes in lots of colors
- Variety of sizes to fit small, medium, and large dogs.
Insulated Dog Coat
Fuamey Dog Coat
Fuamey Dog Coat is known for its good insulation to keep your pup warm. The winter jacket bundles your dog from the neck with faux fur to the tail and around the belly.
- Comes in bright, easy-to-see colors in sizes from XS to XXXL
- Made to be snow and wind-resistant
- Has a reflective stripe for additional visibility
- Zipper along the back for easy wearing
Fleece Lined Dog Winter Jacket
JoyDaog 2 Layer Fleece Lined Dog Coat
With more than 13,000 pet parents on Amazon recommending this detail-oriented dog coat, the JoyDaog 2 Layer Fleece Lined Dog Coat is a great option!
- Super warm fleece lined for the winter
- Elastic edges around the arms and torso to keep snow and the cold away from your dog’s skin
- Easy to put on and off with metal snaps
- Comes in 4 colors and sizes from XS to XXX-Large
- Reasonably priced
Full Coverage Dog Snowsuit
Aofitee Full Body Dog Snowsuit
Hundreds of pet parents of small and medium dogs have purchased this adorable Aofitee Full Body Dog Snowsuit full-body snowsuit for extreme winter weather.
- Made to protect your dog from snow, wind, and rain
- Adorable puffer jacket design
- Comes in 5 sizes and 3 colors
- Specially designed for small to medium-sized dogs
- Protects a dog’s neck, chest, torso, and all four legs
- Zips on and off for easy use
Best Extreme Weather Dog Snowsuit
Hurtta Extreme Snowsuit
This Hurtta Extreme Snowsuit is designed for very cold conditions and for dogs who get chilled easily.
- The snowsuit insulates a dog’s neck, back, abdomen, chest and legs
- Designed with a foil liner that helps with a dog’s circulation.
- Made from soft, high-quality materials
- The high hood protects from the wind and snow
- The design makes it easy for a dog to move around in the suit
- Has reflectors on the suit for visibility in the snow
Best Overall Dog Winter Coat
KYEESE Dog Coat
With most of the popular “asked about” features included, the KYEESE Dog Coat ranks as the best overall winter jacket for our pups.
- Cute design and details that fits a dog from the neck to the tail
- Well-insulated and waterproof
- Comes in a variety of sizes and colors
- Fleece lined
- Easy on-and-off access
- Velcro design for quick adjustments to the size of the neck and chest
My favorite dog boots
There are too many dog boots in the marketplace to count, but I’ve been a fan of two of them for a long, long time. Walkaboots and JAWZ boots are both made by Walkabout Harnesses and I love both of them.
JAWZ Traction Booties
JAWZ Traction Booties are soft and comfortable dog shoes for indoors. They provide a strong grip so your dog won’t slip and fall on slick surfaces in your home, but they’re comfy enough for your pup to wear all day.
Walkaboots are a great dog shoe for outdoors because it provides comfort, traction, and durability. They won’t slip off your dog’s paws either.